Break the Bonds borscht is a recipe that appeared in Just Add Goodbye, before they had the Cookbook change it to Break the Bonds Jake-Rito after Darbie O'Brien wanted it to also "taste amazing."
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 tbsp ketchup
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 can kidney beans, with their juice
- 2 beets
- 2 potatoes, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1/4 tsp Parquinnien cumin
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water. Add the beets. Bring to a simmer Cover and boil for about 1 hour.Once you can smoothly pierce the beets with a butter knife, remove from the water and set aside to cool. Keep the water.
- Slice the potatoes, add into the same water and boil 15-20 minutes. Grate both carrots and dice the onion. Add 4 tbsp of cooking oil to the skillet and sauté vegetables until they are soft (7-10 minutes). Stir in ketchup when they are almost done cooking. Meanwhile, thinly shred the cabbage and add it to the soup pot when potatoes are halfway done.
- Next, peel and slice the beets into match sticks and add them back to the pot. Add 4 tsp of Parquinnien cumin, bay leaves and can of kidney beans (with their juices) to the potato pot.
- Add sautéed carrots and onion to the pot along with chopped dill. Cook another 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Riddle[edit | edit source]
To break yourself of a strongest bind
You'll have to make something one of a kind
With a special spice you're problem will be short
By taking one sip of this special Borscht
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Parquinnien cumin might be from the protector's names: Hannah Parker-Kent, Kelly Quinn, and Darbie O'Brien.